Sunday, February 17, 2008

Reconnaissance Mission to the Brickyard:

Richard and I parked at the west end of Cherokee Park and hiked down into it. The trail was in good shape, nice day too. The brick yard has quite a bit of ice available. All the routes are about 20-25 feet and very pretty. There were 4 people climbing down there. There will be ice there for another couple of months. Gals, I think we could get away with sharing one pair of boots but it would be the ultimate in luxury if we had our own. At VE for one day boot rental is $15 and crampons are $5. Mel will check at the U of M to see what their prices are like.
I propose we bump our expedition to Feb 27 because of the following conditions.
We have prices to check
Aaron’s sick, we what him strong
Mel needs to make some day care arrangements
Carl’s foot hurts ( less today)
Should we get a permit?

I need to deal with the Women on the Edge climbing event next Sunday. I need to decide if it lives or dies. It’s not like we didn’t promote it, Mel. From now on I’m just climbing with you guys, those who don’t climb, don’t climb because they don’t want to, I guess.

4 comments:

Julianne V. said...

I'm fine with changing the ice climbing to the 27th. I'm hopeful/worried that Mental Health Resources may call for a second interview and they said already that it would take place on a Wednesday. Can't let my job search get in the way of my hobbies, although I did eventually relent and tell Joel that I would put job interviews over climbing (sigh). Hopefully they won't want an interview on the 27th now!
Aaron, I hope you get better soon!!
Let me think about the boot rental... I was hoping to share the cost with someone but if you both want your own I'll figure something out. See you all soon.

Lisa said...

We can share. I am fine with that.

richard said...

Julianne, it's OK to share, especially if we wait until it's warmer. I just checked the forecast for this Wednesday & it's supposed to be a high of 9. That's really not fun at the Brick Yards.

If you don't have boots with crampons, it's OK. All it means is you'll have to stand off the ice which is 15-25 feet away from the climbers. Not a big deal.

richard said...

Just checked the weather forecast and a 9 degree high for Wednesday is too cold. Especially if not everyone has their own equipment.