Monday, February 18, 2008

New Plan on Overtraining

I think I'm not overtraining enough because I didn't feel very strong today climbing. Maybe going every day will help me get stronger.

Lisa and I did a few leads and some top ropes. (Hmmm, now that I think about the leads, I realize they were all overhanging. That might be the source of my weakness.)

We did some top rope climbs with Julianne and Morgan and then went to the bouldering area to work on the routes with the elephant holds.

This is a little off topic, but I'm tired of not being able to climb outside. So here's a video I shot last year at Taylors Falls with The Warden.

6 comments:

Lisa said...

I Agree! I took yesterday off and it did no good what so ever. That shot of Taylor's Falls is NICE.

I got plenty of good advice from Richard today. Just watch my hips swivel on Wednesday!

richard said...

By the way, Julianne took my spot at the anchors class. When I got home there was an email telling me the class was full. Julianne told us at VE she got the last spot. Now she'll have to teach me what she learned at that class.

Aaron said...

Great video! It looked like you guys were doing some trad routes; I assumed Taylors Falls was all top rope.

Lisa said...

Duh! It's a video, of course it is. I thought it was a photo. Oh fer dumb.Nice Video.

richard said...

Aaron, Taylors Falls has lots of great trad routes - most everything that's top roped is also trad led. This area, Yosemite Crack/Sentinel Crack is on the Wisconsin side and about as far downriver as you can really climb.

Taylors Falls is where I learned to trad lead and I think it's still the favorite for trad leading around the Twin Cities.

There are a handul of trad leads at Red Wing - I've done 3-4 of them - but most people don't trust the rock at Red Wing to hold trad gear. (At least that's what I hear. I think the real reason is sport leading is just easier in the sense you need less gear, less practice because you're not setting gear and you can climb a lot harder routes right away. That's why I like sport climbing.)

Julianne V. said...

Sorry I took "your spot", Richard! Actually, I emailed COA first, so if you had beat me to it, you would have taken my spot! =) You could call them and say you think they should allow 9 people, rather than 8. Besides, I think you probably already know everything they'll teach us about anchors, since you've been climbing so long... We'll let you know what we learn and see if it's anything new to you.