Friday, February 15, 2008

Knots & Nots

There are lively discussions online as well as in the various books I have on what knots are best and what knots not to use. There's even dissension about how to "finish" the knot once it's tied. And, of course, each category of knot types - harness attachment, anchor attachment, rappelling attachment, rescuing - has its own advocates.

I found this website has animated knot tying.

Here's what one of the classic books on climbing "Mountaineering Freedom of the Hills" has to say about which knots are important.

What did your instructors at your VE classes recommend for knots for various purposes?

4 comments:

Lisa said...

For me, it's all how my 8 turns out. Long end? Safety knot. Short end? Yosemite finish. I suppose I should make better choices. I think I will look at those links.

Lisa said...

and what's with the times on the blog? I do not get up THAT early. But you do. Sometimes I post before I even get home. That's amazing!

richard said...

Lisa, if you notice, the times they use are Pacific, West Coast times. I think because Blogger is owned by Google and they're headquartered out there.

BTW, what isn't owned by Google? (Oops, I gotta go, my Google Masters just beeped me and told me to get back to work helping them take over the world.)

Lisa said...

Good News. with my sailing back round I know quite a few of those nots, phew! nothing new to learn today. Wait, that's bad. I am always open to learning. I'll pick a knot and learn it.