Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Organizing a Trip and Having Others Help Pay for It

This is a great idea. It's been done with many other activities and I knew it'd been done for climbing. Here's a group who thought waaaaay big and raised money for some sick kid so they could climb Kilimanjaro. The rule of thumb in the Charity business to qualify as a legitimate charity, is to spend at least 70% of the money raised on the actual program you're supporting. This group says they raised $34K and didn't spend any on their expenses. Very admirable and very unusual.

Here's another group which raised funds for cancer to climb Kilimanjaro.

What would be the "hook" of the 'Wednesdays Rock' climb? Here's one idea: "Raise Awareness of Global Hunger and the Difficulty of Still Having to Work Physically Hard by Going without (much) Eating for 3 days while Climbing the Grand." Of course, we would have to have the necessary fluids to get to the top. (And I'd need emergency rations like a whole bunch of candy bars in case I got really humgry. Which I would be about every 20-30 minutes.)

These guys are more modest: they're only going to Mt Rainier. But they have a good twist on it that just might work for the WR climb of the Grand. They only allow particpants who've raised $3500 to climb. But the drawback would be you'd have to go with a bunch of people you don't know. But if your way was paid??? And you have to find a respected charity to affiliate with.

The possibilites are endless. For example, I helped a local guy who liked to bike. So he got a bunch of bikes donated and took kids riding around here a few days in the summer. Then he wanted to bike in South America so he got donations to pay for his trip and a few kids to go biking in South America for 2 weeks. Last summer, he decided he wanted to see Norway. Same deal. Of course he had to put up with kids, which is not what you parents want to do on your vacations. (Oh, I forgot; you already have to do that.)

This is just a start. Mostly I was kidding Lisa when I mentioned this, but it could actually work. Heck, it has actually worked.

Oh my gosh, look at this. It's an organization set up to help you raise funds so you can take kids climbing.

7 comments:

Lisa said...

Okay, Now you are talking to me Richard! sorry I was antsy. What if.. We were fund rasing for "Feed my starving Children" for example. And on the climb we ate those packets of food they produce. It's invitation only. We have a group fundraising goal of...$13,000. we get sponsors like VE, Thrivent for Lutherans.....

richard said...

See, you're on the right wave length here, Lisa. But what's the hook? "The food is so nutritious it's all you need to do incredible feats of derring-do." Or, "We traveled around the world climbing peaks and eating only this stuff."

richard said...

Oh my gosh, look at this. It's an organization set up to help you raise funds so you can take kids climbing.

http://www.climbingforkids.org/HowItWorks/

richard said...

OMG, I was watching the eclipsing moon and I thought, "What about organizing a clean-up of a peak/climbing area you wanted to go to and raise donations for that?"

Lisa said...

Ok I just called and talked to the Local Missions Gal at my work, She said If we raise funds for Feed my Starving children. It wouldn't be connected to the church (that's good)But she would advertise the heck out of it. I think the goal needs to be $13,771 ($1 for each foot)She also said she'd give us $100 bucks. Is this a good cause? Any one else have a worthy charity that won't be scrutinized. I don't think we should use any money for expences unless it is specifically donated for that. Thoughts?

Lisa said...

Wow that climbing for Kids deal is very intriguing FREE GEAR WHOOPI I love free stuff.I was watching the moon too and I got hungry and i ate the candy bar that I bought Richard for valentines day. Sorry.

Aaron said...

Sounds like we are going to use our powers for good, instead of evil. If that's the case then we need to nominate someone as "Director of all things Good". I nominate Lisa.