Friday, February 8, 2008

GriGri Brings Me Luck

I bought a GriGri a few weeks ago but haven't taken the time to learn to use it. Today Aaron showed me how and I belayed him on a few climbs with it.

Pros
  • It stops the rope fast; climber falls very short distance
  • Easier to keep climber on belay while climber explores new route

Cons

  • It stops fast which hoists me into the air
  • It's heavy

I was pretty sure a gris-gris was a voodoo item so I looked it up and here's what I found:

"Gris-gris, also spelled grigri, is a Vodou/Voodoo amulet that protects the wearer from evil or brings luck. This use of the word Gris-Gris usually describes a small cloth bag worn on the person. Inside is placed a mixture of one or more of the following: herbs, oils, stones, bones, hair, nails, grave dirt, or other personal items." From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So I'm gonna use it more if it brings good luck or protects me from evil.

1 comment:

Lisa said...

You are inpired! I will seak out additional items to keep us from evil.