Sunday, February 10, 2008

Sunday at V.E.

I’ve been waiting for this day for almost 29 years, the day that I give up my blog virginity. Feel special Wednesdays Rock, you’re the one for me.

Sunday at V.E. hosted some awesome climbs. Surprisingly, Richard, Lisa and Mel all showed up, with a guest appearance by Carl. (I thought Sunday was a day of rest?!) Congrats to Julianne for kicking butt at the competition on Saturday!

The Passion for Flashin’ is over, and there are a plethora of new, unrated routes up for us to climb. It was like Christmas came early on Sunday; walking around, looking at different ledges and thinking “I can climb that!”

Climbing becomes more interesting and more personal when, instead of looking at a route card and thinking “can I climb a 5.XX?” you simply look at the holds, the moves, and the terrain; and ask yourself “can I do this?”, then to attack the route with a fresh and almost child-like attitude; not limited by a rating or past experiences.

In the next few weeks the staff at V.E. will be covering the walls with new, fresh, routes. This gives us all an opportunity to set new goals for ourselves and to push our limits. Keep it up W.R’ers!

4 comments:

richard said...

Hey Aaron, welcome to the club. Great comment about the lack of rating on climbs. It does force me to study them more closely.

See you Monday.

Lisa said...

Yes, there lack of judgemental numbers is freeing and frightening. It's like a box of chocalates, you never know what you are going to get.
Congratulations on the loss of your viginity.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the insight! It's great to mix things up mid winter - new people and new rock.

PS I was climbing the slab with the broken hold all night. Now I might be too tried to actually do it.

Julianne V. said...

Creative writing style, Aaron! Thanks for sharing your wisdom and insights. =)