Thursday, February 21, 2008

OK, Enough About the Grand, how 'bout this..

Aaron mentioned to me that all this talk about climbing the Grand got him pumped up to go. He initially figured the plan must be to climb this year. When he found out it isn't until Fall '09, he told me, "OK, that's enough already." (Or words to that effect.)

But Lisa and I have talked about going to the Black Hills this (yes, 2008!) Spring. I swear to you, winter will end. It's hard to believe I know. So, I think it's not too early to talk about the level of interest in climbing in the Needles, Sylvan Lakes, Rushmore area. My recommendation is at least 3 days out there climbing. It takes about 9 hours to drive there. (I left downtown Mpls at 10AM and arrived at the campsite near Rushmore at 6:30PM. Most of the way, you can drive 80mph.) So, to be reasonable, this is a 4-5 day trip. (One time we left here early evening after work, slept at a wayside rest near Sioux Falls, arrived late morning and climbed that same day.)

So, who's interested? What type of climbing do you want to do? Which specific climbs or areas interest you?

6 comments:

Aaron said...

Hey Richard, I'm very interested. Having never been to S.D. before, I don't know what to expect; but the longer and more remote the route, the better.

Lisa said...

I'm in. Aaron, the black hills are gorgeous. All the fun of mountain without the long drive. Wind in the pines, it smells great no mosquitos!
I would like an area that provides a variety of difficulties. I'm not competative but I do need to succeed now and then. But then I am preaching to the chior. You guys know that. Richard has a fav on the back of Rushmore. I would like to bag one of those spires (maybe just a little one?) ( no a freaky big one!)The is a strange lack of Mel-lo today. Can you feel it?

Lisa said...

I went poking around the website and Custer state park looks great, cathedral spires look amazing and the Khyymer (sp?) spire looks awesome, It has 5 routes on it. from 5.8- 5.11b. sound perfect for us.Unless Richard knows something I don't, which is likely.

Anonymous said...

I'm in. What's the time frame early, mid or late summer?

richard said...

Time frame is as soon as possible to get good weather. Which means after Memorial Day.

Lisa, I think you're talking about Khayyam Spire which looks fun.

Lisa said...

Please wait until I get back from France, Late june perhaps?