Thursday, December 2, 2010

Solo Female Bicycle Touring

I think it would be frightening to be a woman bicycling alone around the world. (Who am I kidding? It’d be frightening to do it even if I were a strong, capable man.) But this woman has been biking solo for 18 months and finds being a woman is very helpful. Here’s part of her response when asked, “Is it safe to be packing estrogen?”

“It’s the estrogen you see; a masterful diva of devotion, distraction and 24 hour road side assistance on a bicycle tour of foreign lands.  The estrogen extravaganza, a festival of aid in which the men of the world bolt forward unsolicited with thoughtful assistance and not usually needed helpful action…Being a woman is the most useful of the safety plans and survival tools that I pack daily in my panniers/bicycle bag as I cycle around the world.  A tool that so quickly melts all language barriers that at times I wonder why there is such an exaggerated stereotype of women travelling solo as unsafe especially if they are travelling independently by bicycle.”

Read here whole story at the link.

No comments: