Friday, April 2, 2010

Because It’s Harder That Way

Here’s a short interview with Royall Robbins, the first person to climb Half Dome in Yosemite in 1957.

“Q: When was the last time you climbed in Yosemite?

A: It's been two years. I've slowed down. I climbed After Six, a 600-foot rock. I did it without a rope, which means I couldn't afford to fall.

Q: Why without a rope?

A: Because it was harder that way.

Q: Where are the famous Tretorns?

A: I don't know where they are. They've been passed on. I came upon Tretorns because I played tennis. I got out on the rock and they stuck very well and were very comfortable for walking up and walking down.

The photo above is a pair of Tretorn tennies from the 90s. Don’t know what a pair of Tretorns looked like in the 50s. (Three of us climbed the Grand Tetons with one of us wearing a pair of Tretorns that looked exactly like the photo above.)

No comments: