Friday, January 7, 2011

Why Don’t People Go To The Gym

I guess it takes a PhD to analyze why some folks don’t want to go to the gym. So here is that analysis. Here’s what I don’t get, I fit every reason she mentions that people don’t want to exercise. Here they are:

1. Embarrassment.

2. Fear of looking stupid .

3. Inability

4. Excessive sweating

5. Belief they will fail.

6. Memories of exercise used as punishment.

7. Being teased, or worse, when failing at a team sport when young.

8. Being labeled clumsy, slow, or uncoordinated when young.

So I will continue to go to the gym even though I have all of the above fears and excuses not to go. But I’ll bet none of you have any of the above fears. I’ll bet you all feel just like the champions you really are.

6 comments:

Lisa said...

2, 7 and 8

Anonymous said...

1, 2, 5, 7, 8 !!

Does this mean I have to stop going to the gym?

Lisa said...

no, it means YOU WIN!

wed wing won said...

I don't have any of those reasons. I don't go to the gym because the winter months are when i spend my time mentally preparing for the summer climb when we can get outside.

richard said...

I have always used exercise - particularly outdoor exercise as a way to punish myself. So I've got #6. I usually look stupid - so that's 2. I am embarrassed to even be writing this - so that's #1. I don't sweat much for a fat boy, but I do go thru a shirt or two per session. So that's #4. I always get teased, but I deserve it because I look so stupid. So that's #7. I am not uncoordinated except when I fell off a ladder, fell down the stairs putting on my socks and fell off a cliff looking over the top. So, come to think of it, that's #8. I guess inability doesn't fit because I am able to come up with all of these reasons I am so bad. So I got that going for me.

As for Ron's comments, the more I think about resting thru winter, the better I like it.

So do I win?

Anonymous said...

Yes, Richard, I think you win.