Saturday, May 3, 2008

Today I was curious to exactly what 5.10 and v5 and stuff like that meant. Well as you may know we use the Yosemite Decimal System for climbing at VE and most North America climbs. The 5 part of 5.10 comes from what you are doing. Class 1 is walking with low chance of injury and fatality. After that there are 2,3, and 4 which are in between walking and class 5 would be. . . . well climbing on vertical or near vertical rock. The .10 shows how hard the technical difficulty of the hardest move. What really shocked me was the way that you rate the climbs. You can have a route that is all 5.7 moves and throw a 5.14a move and there and the whole route becomes a 5.14a. I was also curious what the V rating meant so I found what they were similar to in class 5 ratings. A V0 is comparible to a 5.10a and a V15 is comparible to a 5.15a which is the hardest climb in the world. I could do it.

1 comment:

Lisa said...

I know you could! Thanks for the information. It is more useful than the beer buying criteria, maybe.