Saturday, May 10, 2008

Cockroaches the Size of Rats

OK, those of you who thought we had some nasty fauna at Willow River should read this story about climbing a free route up the main amphitheater of Angel Falls. falls.jpg

"Reported horrors included two inch ants, snakes, eye licking mosquitoes, spiders and rat sized cockroaches. Stopping for a rest was perilous as particularly curious and hungry ants ran up your trouser legs and mozzies descended in droves. Seeing small black and yellow frogs and watching a troop of monkeys in the canopy made the jungle experience a tad more pleasant. As José pointed out: "many good climbers are not able to cope with the jungle and choose to go home."

1 comment:

Lisa said...

Shame on me! I was shocked when I figured out that this was written by a woman. I was reading and thinking what a gol dang man adventure this was. Me! I was thinking that. Shame on me. Wow what a wild ride. Besides reading an adventure story that I am not sad I was not on, I took one piece of practical information, a reminder of the command "Watch me!" it's more than "take" and not as doom filled as "falling". "Falling" can be self fulfilling once you admit it, right?