Sunday, March 16, 2008

Discoveries...

I've signed up for a way-past-my-ability class at Midwest Mountaineering. It's a multi-pitch rescue technique class. I have a thing with learning, not so much a thing with doing. VE teaches the same class for a charge. Here's the details:

Climbing Self Rescue 101
Have you ever wondered if your partner (‘the more experienced one’) had a problem? How would you deal with it? Learn the basics of belay escapes, self-belay and mechanical advantage systems. Expert climber Dave Watson will share his extensive climbing and safety knowledge with you. Recommended items: shoes, harness, belay device, daisy chain, biners, cordelettes, other rescue equipment you have.
I believe Dave Watson has climbed Everest twice and will be climbing K2 this summer. Register by calling 612-339-3433 or emailing Ted at bear@midwestmtn.com.

We also met a couple of guys at the gym today that are interested in building up their climbing club. They are with the MN Rovers Outdoors Club and will meet this summer at Taylor's Falls on Friday late afternoon. It's a good time for me, since I'm open in the evenings more. But they could be an interesting group...I won't judge a book (or club) by it's cover. www.mnrovers.org

3 comments:

Lisa said...

Thanks for the link Mel.They have some fun looking activities and Friday nights are good nights to play outside in the summer.

Anonymous said...

I just realized I didn't put the dates down.

I will be going Wed, April 9th at 6.

richard said...

There is a class at VE on how to retreat from a sport climb. Pat was encouraging me to attend. I might go just because I'm feeling guilty about giving him a hard time about the ice tools.