Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Sandstone Ice Report- Fat, Phat Ice

Despite the warning on the news to stay indoors, Johnny Mac, Dr. P. and I headed up to Sandstone to get on some ice. Yes, the temp was zero. we all hiked up to the rim and set 3 top ropes and hiked down to climb the 3 most amazing ice routes in the history of the world. I am so serious.

Dr. P's was a great warm up route, All 3 of us started our tool swinging on it. Johns was the BEST, a chimney with 3 roofs to pull. I made it all the way to the top of that one, twice! As did the boys, yep both of them. It was a very sweet and stemmy climb. The route I set was tuff, Thin on one side, Chandelier on the other. Dr. P was that man to climb it, so he did.

We made a new rule. No kissing the biner when you get to the top in temps like this. I'm just saying. Also I had my first experience with the screaming barfies, wow that hurts, as the blood flows back into your hands. I guess I must have been over gripping. Apparently sufficient kitchen passes were not procured for this event, so no photos were taken. What happens in Sandstone, stays in Sandstone.

No comments: