Saturday, August 28, 2010

Basalt Rocks!



When I saw the Basalt Formation in Armenia that Richard posted yesterday, it looked familiar and super cool, I I looked around until I remembered that it was Northern Ireland! Giant's Causeway, same super cool hexagon formations. I am going to do a little bit more research on how this happens, this is what I found so far.

The Giant’s Causeway, Northern Ireland’s only UNESCO World Heritage Site, is a natural pavement of an estimated 37,000 black basalt columns, each one a polygon with hexagons being the most common, projecting from the mainland into the Atlantic Ocean. Volcanic eruptions that occurred about 60 million years ago, give or take a few years, slowly and evenly cooled to form the otherworldly geometric shapes, forming a striking visual landscape that make the Causeway the major tourist attraction that it is today—thousands visit annually, but you can escape the crowds by taking to the Cliff Top Path.

Devil's Tower looks to be a similar formation, any thoughts? anyone know stuff. Leave a comment, I will go a googling.

No comments: