Friday, March 13, 2009

Mom says.....

Better helmet than Hell met — a quality brain bucket should be on your head before you leave the ground.
Here are some reviews.

At some point in every climber’s career, an object lesson on helmets comes crashing down. I received mine at the age of 21, with my father, as we rapped down a crumbling sandstone tower. He was wearing his usual hefty, fiberglass Joe Brown lid. I, being a fashionable young lad, sported nothing more than a windblown coif. At the bottom of the first rap, my father suggested I crouch under an overhang while he pulled the rope. Sure enough, as he gave the cord a final tug to pull it free, a fist-sized rock came clattering down, striking dead center on my dad’s helmet. He looked over at me with a knowing, penetrating smile and began coiling the rope. No words spoken, but the message was loud and clear: better to look less than chic than to suffer a lacerated scalp, fractured skull, or worse.
Most of us won’t admit that we avoid wearing helmets due to vanity. Instead, we make excuses about fit, overheating, or weight. While those are legitimate criteria when choosing a helmet, they are by no means excuses for not wearing a helmet at all. With the bevy of stylish and functional models on the market now, you’ll be able to find a helmet that fits well and makes you look like a superstar.

No comments: