This story is so sad. And so easily prevented. Even after all these years have gone by, it is still a controversial accident.
I have a few questions about this big-wall climber’s actions:
- Was there a crash pad below? How about a spotter?
- Was his harness attached and doubled back?
- Did the harness fit right? (It could be his ovoid shape prevented a proper fit.)
- Did he use a proper knot?
- Was his belayer paying attention or just thinking of breakfast?
So climbers pay attention out there. If you don’t want your insides scrambled, be careful where you sit.