Monday, August 4, 2008

"Beta Lickers"

Is what the Black Hills Climbers called us as we climbed on top ropes set up by them in the Ten Pins area of the Needles.

That's alright with me. Most of these climbs were first done 40 years ago and the pitons and bolts that are left, are of that vintage. And, one of the routes we top roped, "Super Pin," has two bolts on it; one at about 15 feet above the start and the other about 10 feet below the summit. And it's around 75 feet tall. (Just before the lead climber got to the 2nd bolt, he told Ward - who was belaying him - "I'm on my own now. You can't catch me. So don't jump over the edge if I fall." With that in mind, I'll proudly wear the badge of "Beta Licker."

Of course, when we told them we had climbed in Spearfish, they called us "Jug Haulers." I told them we'd rather be referred to as "Bolt Lickers."

1 comment:

Lisa said...

I am sad to have missed the testosteron festival!!
I'm just saying I will lap up all the beta I can get. And I would like to say I haul jugs wherever I go but I won't say that.