Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Secret Place Recon

Mel says...
As for Stillwater my thoughts are:
Overall IF it were good rock, I would say it would be worth a little cleanup. Good location, pretty easy to access BUT because the sandstone was falling off in heaps and sandbars, I don't know if it would be worth any effort.The anchors looked old but some of the bolts looked like they might hold. Iwant to say it has potential but...By the way where did you put your hold you pulled off, Lisa?You could have taken a photo of it for the blog.
Lisa says...Sorry about the dead batteries in my camera, you could have seen some cute pitures of little Sammy our hiking buddy in Mel's back pack and the chipmonk that I cornered in a cave. What a pretty day! The St. Croix steals my heart everytime I see it, but I didn't cry this time and I didn't tell Mel.
Ok..Beta! It's bolted alright, I thought the protection looked fine. The first routes you come to are not the best ones. 2o feet tall, if holds exist, they are slopey. The sandstone is... what I would call blank,granular, choss. a half inch deep on all 3 ledges. It would be good to bring a wisk broom. After that, you carefully pass by a nice healthy crop of poison ivy. Then the routes get better, higher, more holds as you walk further up river. Did I mention the whole thing is overhung? I said to my partner" Looky here! This is a mighty fine hold!" and the the whole thing which had looked pretty solid 4" by 8" ledge came off in my hand. There are probably 30 bolted routes 20-35 ft high. The father you go, the better the condition of the rock. Did I mention it is all overhung? On the way back we notice a boulder with black spray paint on it that said "No Rock Climbing" But it also said "The bitch you are rolling is the bitch that I am" and "Are you drunk yet?" So I don't know how reliable that sign was. It's a great place to visit. I don't know if I am will to belay there. Could be combined with PJ Asch Indoor Climbing in the Grain Elevator, a burger at The Mad Capper and Wine tasting on Northern Vineyards Deck. Now we are talking a worthwhile trip. I don't feel right revealing the location to the world but I will tell you by email.

2 comments:

Nora Whitmore said...

Wine Tasting?? I'm in...I make wine at home! Or at least I used to until I had waaay toooo many gallons stored up.

Aaron said...

Way too many gallons of wine!? I don't think I understand?