Saturday, September 25, 2010

Loca-rockist

When I hear about all of the benefits of eating locally grown food, that our locavorist friends talk about, I am convinced that these same benefits would accrue to rock climbing.

IMG_0462

So I asked myself, “Why go to distant places to climb soaring granite spires? Especially, loooooooong tedious, tiring, multi-pitch climbs? Why not climb only locally?” That’s when I decided to become a loca-rockist.

No longer will I hunger for the towers of rock that exist in the mountains. I will content myself with the soaring 62 foot limestone cliffs of Red Wing. (I know this because my special, cheap, short rope measures 132 feet and it doesn’t quite touch the ground when used to top rope the super-tallest climb at the ‘Wing.) And the 55 foot basaltic routes of Taylors Falls; where i can kinda make a pretend multi-pitch route. (If I really wanted to do that. Usually, I don’t.)

John Muir said “Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.” But I can do that right here.

I see no reason to travel out of state until I’ve done every multi-pitch route right here. (Oh, I think I have. But never mind, the point is still valid.) Then I can move on to other areas – like Wisconsin and Iowa and climb all of their multi-pitches.

I don’t want to be dogmatic (woof, woof) about this and I can think of a few minor exceptions to being a strict locarockist.

    1. I can find other people to travel with me out of state
    2. I can find time in my schedule to travel
    3. The weather will be good at my destination
    4. It’s not too far out of my 40 mile radius comfort zone – or -
    5. I really want to go somewhere else

So, if you want to climb in areas distant to where you live, then move there. Unless:

  1. You have a job here
  2. You have family here
  3. You don’t really want to

Those would be the only reasons I can think of. Oh, one more: maybe you like it here.

1 comment:

Lisa said...

CLIMB LOCAL
SEND LOCAL
BE LOCO


O man, why didn't you come up with this before the reel rock contest!