Monday, September 27, 2010

Lead & Speed Climbing Competition

This was the lead and speed portion of the European Championship just ended in Innsbruck.And

people, people PLZ NOTICE:

At 2:35 and at 3:05 minutes into the video, the first and second place lead climbers come out with their belayers – get this peeps, are you paying attention? – and their lead ropes are in a friggin’ laundry basket.

OK, so those of you who can’t afford the blue plastic bags for carrying your lead ropes, just bring your laundry baskets. And hold your head high; laundry baskets are what the champion lead climbers in Europe (Yur Friggin’ Up) use.

It’s stylish ‘cuz it’s European. Oh, I ‘spose you’ve never even been to Europe.”  That’s all you need to say to your non-cool climbing partners if they even crack a smile when you wheel your basket out.

BTW, I couldn’t understand most of what they say – I am cool, like a European – but I don’t speak every one of their crazy languages. I did translate the climbers who used laundry baskets and they said, “I need a laundry basket ‘cuz I’ve got such big ones.” (I think they mean their ropes are super long.)

UPDATE, UPDATE – I watched the women lead climbers more carefully and, sure enough, they’re using laundry baskets too! At 4:05 and 4:50. OK, now it’s official, if the women are doing something, then it’s officially super cool.

Maybe you want to buy one of my new European Lead Rope Baskets.

laydry basket copy

4 comments:

Lisa said...

If they were cool they would have bags like us.

Lisa said...

I spoze you want me to buy you a basket now... Are you sober?
funny post btw

richard said...

I have a yellow and a blue plastic bag for my lead ropes. Both came from Europe, by the way.

But I am going to get a basket - as soon as I can afford one of those Patagonia ones.

richard said...

And yes, I am sober. But now, since you called me a lush, I am going to have a big, phat drink. So there, poopy head.