This is for you Pete.
These are some of my favorite routes in the Black Hills that I’ve done as well as routes that are “must-dos” according to others.
- Gossamer – climbs an arête to the left of a picture window hole in the rock
- Valdez Overhang – best described as a gym problem outdoors
- Weird Water
- Waves – 2 pitch bolted climb
- Star Dancer
- Garfield Goes to Washington – 3 pitch trad climb; one of Russell’s favorites
Cathedral Spires/Ten Pins
- Spire 4 – 2 pitch trad route with optional Wormhole
- Station 13 – slender 150’ spire with exposed finish
- Sandberg Peak – super fun and the best “show-off” route for people in cars. It looks like it will fall over any minute.
- Sickle – this is an arête climb that Greg & I backed off from because we thought we were lost. Turns out we weren’t.
- Tricouni Nail/Cerebrus – relies on a piton placed in the ‘60s for one piece of protection. Needs a simul-rap or one rope rappel from the top.
- Lander Turkey Shoot – fun arête with belayer on the opposite side of the rock from the climber
- Inner Course – long bolted route with a great view
- Campground Boulder – John Gill’s famous boulder
- Aging Gracefully – long route with tiny button head bolts
- Conn Diagonal – famous trad route
- Better Than Pool and Pie – this is the site of Amy’s famous night time lead
Moonlight Ridge & Needle’s Eye
- Gobs of Knobs – odd name for a climb that has gobs of knobs; no listing in Mountain Project
- Wave Runner – bolted route up a blank-looking face
- Lunatic – bolted route up an arête
- Moonlight Rib – many times, this is just free soloed
- Needle’s Eye – someone day I’ll follow someone up this baby
Spearfish area – I’ve only climb here twice so I have limited knowledge. I do remember these: